Monday, February 27, 2012

Work horse flies

Here are a few flies that have really been getting it done lately. My favorite setup this winter has been a caddis pattern with an egg pattern as a dropper. I am not really picky about which caddis patterns I use because I have seen all different sizes (14-20) in the water, and they all seem to work. I tend to fish the larger (14-16) patterns, simply because they are easier to tie to my tippet in a hurry.

The egg bite has been slowing down compared to the fall when the Kings were in the water, but has still be a producer. I tend to catch more fish on the swing with my egg patterns. I have no idea why, but I do not mind, catching fish on the swing is always a thrill.

I have had success with the dry fly pictured as well. It is a simple biot body, parachute fly I tied up a few years ago. This patten has proven to be very durable, as I have caught and landed many fish with the fly pictured. Caddis patterns in size 16-20 are also bringing fish to the surface.

Now that the switch rod is out for a few weeks, I will not really be using streamers and swinging flies as much, but I pictured a few go to flies for when it gets replaced. The big red thing is an intruder pattern and the bullet weights coupled with 12.5 ' of T8 and I can get it down to any depth I need. Using bullet weights is a good way to weight a fly, while not limiting yourself to what you tie on the head. You can fish the same fly accross the surface on a floating line, then throw a 1/4 ounce bullet weight and fish it through a fast run. It is a trick I saw on Skagit Master II with Scott Howell.

The big Caddis flies I am yet to try. I planned on skating those in afternoon but snapped the switch rod so I never go around to it. I am excited to bring a big trout to the surface on one of those.










Anyways, I will be back on the water Wednesday. I will post a report and of course I will be posting some pictures of the specimens we bring to the net.







Have a good week - Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment